126 calories per serve
8 Oct 2014
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups couscous
- 0.5 cup cracked bulgar wheat
- 4 spring onions, roughly chopped into 2 cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp cumin
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 4 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 0.25 cup of mixed fresh herbs (I used coriander, parsley & sage), finely chopped
- 4 T lemon juice (for dressing)
- 1 roasted pepper
- 0.5 cup toasted pine nuts (do this in a dry pan, take care as they toast very quickly)
- 0.5 cup cranberries
- 1 T olive oil
- Bring the vegetable stock to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the couscous and cracked wheat, stir into the stock, cover and set to one side for 5 minutes. Once all the liquid is absorbed, fluff up with a fork. Let cool.
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan. Remove from the heat and set to one side.
- In the same pan (keep the dishes down!), add the olive oil, heat gently then add the onions, stir for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic (crushed), cumin, cinnamon and turmeric, cook, with stirring, for 30 seconds, or until fragrant – smells divine!
- Add the chopped tomato, pine nuts and pepper. Cook, with stirring, for 1 – 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- When cooled, I left for about 0.5 hour, mix together in a bowl the couscous, chopped herbs and cooked onion/tomato/pinenuts/pepper/spices mix. Add the lemon juice as a dressing. Taste and season as required with pepper.
I think this was better preparing it the day before it was needed, but you decide!